Thursday, September 20, 2012

A ittle bit of Math~ Working on fractions

 
We are covering fractions currently.  I love to teach math in a way that son is able to grasp the material both from hearing what I am saying but also visual and hands on.  When I first asked K which part was bigger the 1/2,1/3 or 1/4 he said 1/4.  Without seeing anything he thought umm 4 is bigger than 2 and 3 so must be 1/4.  Than I drew it on the board and now he was able to see it.  When I drew it out is started his brain into thinking how could he be wrong; 4 is more than 2 and 3.   
 
 
 
 
We didn't have candy bars so we used snack cakes. This is where I let son do the work and than I asked him which piece he wanted and of course went for the half. At that point I asked him why "Because it's bigger" Oh!! so what fraction was that? "1/2" so do you still think 1/4 is bigger than 1/2? No! BINGO the concept is now sticking
Than I asked what was smaller and he said 1/4.  Why?  Because, you had to take the same size cake and cut it into 4 parts not only 2 parts,which makes each part smaller than just half of the cake.



 
Here is K making fraction problems with 12 straws

Working on his math sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment